Last week I was invited to the Dermalogica Head Office for an exclusive preview of their innovative new products by Dr. Diana Howard (Vice President of Global Education and Research and Development at Dermalogica) and once again they did not disappoint.
“As a leading ingredient innovator for the skin care industry, researcher, educator, author and lecturer, Diana Howard, Ph.D., has been instrumental to the success of Dermalogica as the preferred brand of skin care professionals worldwide.”
So, what can you expect from Dermalogica in the next few months?
1. OVERNIGHT RETINOL REPAIR
I have been looking for a new anti aging night cream for a while now so this product couldn’t have come at a better time. I have been using it for a week now and absolutely love the feel of my skin. I will post a full review in the next few weeks but in the meantime here is a rundown of what Overnight Retinol Repair is all about!
Drawing on one of the most powerful ingredients recommended by medical professionals to radically treat the signs of aging, Dermalogica® introduces new Overnight Retinol Repair. Overnight Retinol Repair accelerates skin renewal, reverses the signs of photo-aging, improves skin tone, and increases skin firmness. This is the first-ever retinol treatment to offer a unique customization option, allowing users to enjoy the benefits of a retinoid while experiencing maximum comfort and efficacy.
Key to the formula is 0.5% retinol, pure Vitamin A, which has been demonstrated to reverse both the signs of intrinsic aging (genetics) as well as extrinsic aging (environmental). Studies have shown that retinol significantly restores the structural integrity of the skin, accelerating cell turnover and renewal, stimulating collagen production, improving epidermal thickness, and increasing elastin biosynthesis. The retinol molecule on its own, however, is chemically unstable, degrading with exposure to sunlight and air, so Dermalogica® utilizes microencapsulation technology to retain stability, maintaining concentration levels. The microencapsulation technology used in Overnight Retinol Repair also allows for a controlled-release delivery system which enables the active retinol to penetrate deeply into the skin for optimum results.
As part of Dermalogica’s AGE Smart line – categorized by products containing scientifically-advanced ingredients proven to dramatically treat the biochemical reactions (aging triggers) before they start – Overnight Retinol Repair draws on several additional active ingredients that work together to reduce the appearance of aging skin:
o Peptide Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 (PT-5) to boost collagen formation, treat wrinkles, and firm skin
o A unique tripeptide to stimulate hyaluronic acid and collagen synthesis, for smoother skin and reduction of wrinkle-depth
• Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (stabilized Vitamin C) to support collagen synthesis and offer antioxidant protection in combating free radicals
• A unique bioenergized Copper (Cu++) Amino Acid Complex, clinically proven to help reduce visible wrinkles and increase collagen and elastin production
• Ceramides and polysaccharides to help restore the skin’s barrier properties and increase moisture within the skin to soften lines
• Natural botanicals Lavender and Licorice Root to help calm and soothe irritated skin
While the benefits of using retinol on the skin are numerous, skin irritation can be a common side effect, with some individuals experiencing itching, burning, redness, and peeling. To minimize this “retinoid reaction,” Dermalogica® recommends pre-conditioning the skin, starting with small concentrations of retinol application so skin can build up natural retinoid receptors and a tolerance to the ingredient over time. Taking this recommendation one step further, Dermalogica® includes a new Buffer Cream with Overnight Retinol Repair, allowing users to control the concentration of retinol being applied to skin, and further helping them adjust to the active ingredient.
Size: 15ml tube of Beuufer Cream, 30ml Tube of Overnight Retinol Repair
Application: During initial use, Dermalogica® recommends starting with a mix of one part Overnight Retinol Repair to three parts Buffer Cream, and gradually inversing the ratios as skin acclimates to the treatment. Once a tolerance has been built, each individual can take a personalized approach, depending on skin’s comfort level, type, and condition.
2. CHARCOAL RESCUE MASQUE
Dermalogica’s new Charcoal Rescue Masque detoxifies, brightens, and invigorates all skin conditions, with ingredients that draw out excess oil and impurities, refine pores, calm redness, and improve skin texture and smoothness. With the power to address skin aging, dullness, breakouts, and sensitivity, this heroic skin saviour is ideal for anyone looking for a healthy, vibrant, and balanced glow.
Sluggish skin is increasingly common in the modern age. Environmental pollutants combine daily with natural sebum secretions to form a waxy coating on the skin, dulling the skin’s appearance and contributing to inflammation and congestion. Research conducted at The International Dermal Institute reflects that most women only spend about 20 seconds washing their face – not nearly enough to penetrate debris. Charcoal Rescue Masque significantly enhances cleansing, helping remove build-up and stimulate cellular turnover, making it a go-to for healthy, glowing skin.
Activated Binchotan (aka Japanese Ubame Oak) Charcoal is a key ingredient used to draw out excess sebum, toxins, and other impurities. It has the ability to trap toxins and chemicals in the body, allowing them to be flushed out so that the body doesn’t reabsorb them. Common charcoal is made from peat, coal, wood, coconut shell, or petroleum. “Activated charcoal” is similar to common charcoal, but is made especially for use as a medicine and in skincare. To make activated charcoal, manufacturers heat common charcoal in the presence of a gas that causes the charcoal to develop lots of internal spaces or “pores.” These pores help activated charcoal “trap” chemicals.
Additional ingredients include:
• 5% Sulfur promotes cellular turnover for dramatically brighter skin; renowned for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties when treating acne, sulfur is also ideal for calming rosacea, eczema, and sebaceous dermatitis
• Volcanic ash, hot spring, marine silt (mud), and Bamboo stem extract are physical exfoliants that leave skin smooth and revitalized
• Phytic acid, lactic acid, and mandelic acid are chemical exfoliants that accelerate cellular turnover, increasing collagen production and brightening skin
• Niacinamide reduces redness and inflammation
• Chilean Wild Mint clarifies skin and helps refine pores
Size: 75ml Tube
Application: Cleanse skin, then apply generously to face and throat, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 7-10 minutes, then lightly massage with wet hands. Rinse thoroughly, and follow with prescribed Dermalogica® moisturizer. Apply up to four times per week whenever skin needs rescuing.
*Please note that CHARCOAL RESCUE MASQUE will only be available in Dermalogica stores from April 2016
3. HYDRABLUR PRIMER
Fusing powerful skin treatment technology with the most elegant aesthetic primer chemistry available today, Dermalogica® introduces new HydraBlurTM Primer. The multi-tasking, hydrating product optimises skin health, offers a dramatic “blurring” effect, and transforms skin into an even surface, creating a flawless canvas for makeup application or a naturally radiant, makeup-free appearance.
The lightweight, non-greasy formula is ideal for all skin conditions, particularly dry or dehydrated skin. Intense, sustained-release moisturisation locks in ideal hydration levels and controls Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL); this helps maintain critical moisture balance, leaving skin looking and feeling hydrated throughout the day, as well as helps decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Unique, microencapsulated color technology releases bursts of colour upon application to provide light coverage and balance all skin tones while enhancing radiance. HydraBlurTM Primer reduces the appearance of pores without drying the skin and mattifies against an oily shine, providing a silky, luminous finish.
• H2ORelease™ Complex of Sodium Hyaluronate, Algin and Trehalose optimizes hydration levels to maintain skin flexibility and smoothness, and helps provide sustained, intense moisturisation lasting throughout the day
• Abyssinian Seed Oil smooths skin texture and tone by creating a non-occlusive film that helps maintain critical moisture balance, without clogging pores
• Mattifiers reduce oily sheen and disguise the appearance of fine, dry lines and imperfections to create an even canvas with a soft-focus or blurred effect
• Fomes Officinalis (Mushroom) Extract reduces pore visibility and size
• Wu-Zhu-Yu (Evodia Rutaecarpa) Fruit Extract enhances skin radiance by boosting microcirculation
• Micro-encapsulated tint releases upon application to provide neutral coverage
Size: 22ml Tube
Application: First cleans skin, then apply preferred moisturiser and SPF and following with primer application. You can place your foundation over the primer.
*Please note that HydraBlurTM Primer will only be available in Dermalogica stores from early 2016
I will post reviews of the Charcoal Rescue Masque and Overnight Retinol Repair in the next few weeks.